Cheap Prom Dresses:
Where to Find Them!
If you think that the term cheap prom dresses is actually an oxymoron, think again!
Here’s the familiar scene: Prom season is approaching. Your daughter wants a gorgeous gown. She’s under pressure to look her best! But, after all, she is only going to wear it once! You WANT her to look her best, BUT, you don’t to fork over a small fortune!
The good news:
There really are LOTS of options. Don’t worry; I’ve done the homework for you.
Got a diva? I’ve got cheap prom dresses for her and she’s going to love them. Be open minded to all options and you’ll be delighted at what you find.
Let’s go shopping for prom dresses!
Exchange or Borrow a Dress!
Yes, borrow! Here’s how:
1. Think of all your friends, her friends, cousins who have already attended a prom or have been a bridesmaid.
It will be the first time (and last time) you will wear the dress, so, no one will know it’s borrowed…and who cares anyway! And, it’s free!
2. Exchange Programs
are the newest, most awsome thing. Find out if anyone in your community is organizing a dress swap or sale. These sorts of events are popping up in school districts from New Jersey to Knoxville, Tenn. Girls can exchange an old prom dress for a new one or pick up a donated dress at a discount price. Often any leftover dresses and part of the proceeds are given to charity
3. The Cinderella Project (cinderellaproject.net) is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the confidence and self esteem of financially challenged young women by providing the means for them to attend formal social events within their schools. Donations of quality new and “gently used” formal dresses and gowns as well accessories allow young women to attend their high school formal occasions without worrying about the financial burden associated with attending such events and allows for the opportunity to have memories of what is one of the most special events and milestones in a young girl’s life—the Prom. The provided link will connect you to several area programs. If these areas aren’t near you, do a Goggle search and you’ll likely find a Cinderella project near you.
4. Charlotte's Closet (Charlottes-closet.com) , a new website where teens and tweens can borrow designer fashions for up to 75% off store prices. Select the date of the event, look through the collection, then choose two size options to ensure the perfect fit. Two or three days before the event, the dresses will arrive. After the event, you just pack up the dress and return them using a prepaid UPS label! Love it. Rentals range from $25 to $250.
Rent a Dress!
Renting a dress that you’ll only wear once is a great idea! Here are several organizations through which this can be done:
- Rent the Runway (www.Renttherunway.com) gives you the opportunity to rent gorgeous, name brand clothing and accessories! You can order a high-end prom dress, plus a free backup size, for about 10% of the retail price. Just send it back after
four or eight days. In addition, this site has a permanent NYC showroom featuring fabulous special-occasion pieces from more than 175 top designers including Nina Ricci, Oscar de la Renta, and more. Try them on for the perfect fit and look that suits you. You can rent clothes than normally cost a few thousand dollars for about $50 - $125. You're never going to wear it again anyway, right? Show room is located at 163 Varick Street, 4th Floor. By appointment only. Call 212-524-6860.
- Buy, sell or borrow prom dresses from Alexandria's (www.alexandriasformal.com).
- Lending Luxury (www.weartodaygonetomorrow.com) is another popular site for renting gorgeous prom dresses and dresses for other events.
Consignment shops are often over-looked when it comes to prom dress shopping. There are great dresses to be found in them! Check out my extensive listing of New York City consignment shops here.
You can score designer and couture clothing at most of them!
Cheap Prom Dresses in
New York City Stores
There are unlimited places to shop for cheap prom dresses in New York City. Here are a few suggestions:
- Coco Myles (www.cocomyles.com) allows you to customize a large selection of prom dresses bridesmaids dresses (to be used for your prom) to fit any budget.
- Do check out E Bay (www.eBay.com) and Craig's List (www.craigslist.com) where I found more than 50,000 prom dresses for under $100, many of which had never been worn.
- Go Jane has a huge selection of long cheap prom dresses.
- Seventeen magazine has a greatProm Dress Finder. Select your price and style and then choose from a wide variety of cheap prom dresses and wedding gowns for under $100.
- Check out Unique Vintage for some beautiful cheap prom dresses.
- Review the informative articles at Style Bistro where you pick up lots of great tips!
- Windsor Store boasts a huge selection of pretty, cheap prom dresses!
- WGirls makes very gently used dresses and accessories available at boutique-style events for young women who otherwise might not be able to afford their proms!
Shoes and Accessories
To complement your gorgeous prom dress, select great accessories from Girlprops.com and Forever 21.com. For shoes, hop over to Payless, Zappos or Endless, and then sort by lowest price.
Leave Cheap Prom Dresses; Go To Home Page
Go to Sitemap